When NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) was passed, many people feared the worst. The results have indeed been disastrous for the U.S. Economy:
- The trade deficit with Mexico has exploded
- Mexican wages remain nearly as low as they were prior to NAFTA and are still a small fraction of our average wages
- Wealth and power has not filtered to the people. Most of Mexico is still controlled by less than 100 corporations in Mexico
- Many of our other trading partners have relocated facilities to Mexico to circumvent other trade agreements with the U.S.
- American manufacturing has lost 1 million jobs in the past 20 years as U.S. companies have also moved to Mexico for lower wages and lax regulation